Thursday, October 7, 2010

Asian Golden Cat (Pardofelis temminckii; syn. Catopuma temminckii) - this is a dorincard that I created with an A4 (page-size) image of a magazine page.


Is this a traditional, FIP-compliant maximum card? No.
Is this made with a commercial, normal size postcard? No.
Do I like this dorincard? Yes.
How about you?

Wild experiment: go to your local store(s) where you buy postcards, and ask, with a straight face, for "a normal postcard with an Asian Golden Cat, in other words Pardofelis temminckii."
The clerk will look at you, wondering what the hell is wrong with you, then you'll get a NO.

So what's a collector to do? Nothing?
YOU do that, if that's what you want.
I prefer to find solutions.
In this case, I found this large, detailed, gorgeous image in a magazine.
I own this copy of the page (a real page), and I can do many things with it.
Of course, I choose to use it as a postcard.
I could even mail it, but I would risk getting it damaged or losing it.
The normal fate (99.99% of the time) of a magazine page is to end up in the trash, don't you think?
Well, think.
:)

Since the image is superb, I could really affix the label with the postmarked stamp onto it.
My good friend Ye Choh San (Malaysia) has sent me that serviced label, at my request.

"The Asian Golden Cat (Pardofelis temminckii syn. Catopuma temminckii), also called the Asiatic Golden Cat and Temminck's Golden Cat, is a medium-sized wild cat of Southeastern Asia."


=============================
Happy PFF (Postcard Friendship Friday)!