Thursday, May 27, 2010

Another oddity in my maximaphily blog: potentially, 2 different maximum cards/dorincards with the same postcard, 1 on each side!


Above: the regular picture side of the postcard, which I had made into a maximum card/dorincard with a First Day of Issue postmark, about Edgar Allan Poe.


Above: the regular backside/address side of the SAME postcard, featuring a faded image of a raven (read Poe's poetry for details). Poe-try. Try Poe. :)



Above: raven stamp (with additional detail from the pane/from the surrounding design), postmarked with a matching RAVEN pictorial postmark from the state of Rhode Island.
The four fragments are Avery 8665 (almost) transparent mailing address labels, which I cut out from a page-size sheet.
I could affix anytime one of those four labels onto the "raven side" of the postcard, by peeling it carefully.
It would become a very unusual, non-FIP (because I used the label) maximum card/dorincard.

Why would I do it?
1 - Because I have complete control over the final aspect/quality of the postmark, and ultimately of the maxicard/maximum card/maxi card/dorincard. 
I can reject subprime postmarks, without having the postcard ruined by the post office!

2 - Because I can afford to wait to get the missing element: maybe I get the stamp postmarked on the label, and I will find only later a suitable postcard. But this way I don't miss the chance to get the temporary pictorial postmark!

3 - Because it's probably extremely rare (should I say unheard of?) to see or have a 2-in-1 maximum card.
This would be a UNIQUE maximaphily/philately item - no other item in the world in this exact configuration.
No, you don't believe it? Then show me an identical one! Even my 4 labels are not identical, and I can further individualize by placing them in different places over the raven image of the backside.
Two different maximum cards (they are somewhat different even if the backside has the same image- like the bisons postcard- and the only difference is that the backside is more faded).
In our case here, the two MCs would be VERY different in form, although they are conceptually related, about Poe's symbolism and images.