Sunday, April 10, 2011

!! Carta Postala sent on 13 JUN [18]97 by Mili [? not Vanilli] from Calafat, Romania, to C. Witt in New York, NY, USA!! Also, some WIT [white, in Dutch] roses, among other roses maximum cards / maxicards / dorincards from Romania

I think the handwriting was done with a so-called Chemical Pencil, except the 1867 (?) inscription on top of the front side.

!! Carta Postala sent on 13 JUN [18]97 by Mili [? not Vanilli] from Calafat, Romania, to C. Witt in New York, NY, USA!!

Why is the front hand-dated 1867?
What I see is that it's postmarked on 13 JUN [18]97, and it arrived on 24 JUN [18]97!
Is that true?
By what?
Transoceanic ship?
Zeppelin?
You know - tell us!

Also, I appeal again to any expert in German language, deltiology, philately, etc. to help us decipher the text and any other info related to this interesting piece of postal history.
And rare, too - how many pieces of correspondence do you think were mailed from the bustling metropolis of Calafat, Romania to the godforsaken small town of New York, USA?
(Maybe the other way around...)


To participate in today's Sunday Stamps meme, the proposed theme is flowers, as spring finally came to USA, etc.
Witty as I am...

vite, vite, mes amis...[vite = cattle, in Romanian, but that's NOT what I meant]...I found something to make a stretch.
Wit, in Dutch, means White, last time I checked.
So I show you now some White Flowers, and others, too.
From C.Witt postal card to Wit/White Roses.
A beautiful set of 4 maximum cards created by the Association of Philatelists from Cluj-Napoca, Romania.
Sent to me by my friend, Colonel [no, not Gaddafi, who ROSE to power and won't fade away easily] (r) Victor Surdu, from the same great city of Cluj-Napoca, in the heart of Transylvania, Romania.
The creator of all these 4 designer rose varieties is dr.eng Stefan Wagner (Romania, I guess).
The superb pictorial postmark from 25 MAY 2005 says "15 years from the founding of  
The Friends of Roses Association".
===============
Happy Sunday Stamps meme!