Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The tefillin-wearing White Russian prophetess of the 1850s.

This is a really interesting footnote found on pg. 48 of Rodkinson's book about tefillin, Tefillah le-Moshe (1883):



"I, the author, recall that in White Russia, near the city I grew up in, there was a young woman, a miracle worker who was thought to be a Prophetess. She would don tefillin every day - but not just one pair, two pairs - and the Zadikim did not protest. However, I have forgotten her name and which city since I was a small child."

Not surprisingly, historians assume he (who was born in 1845) meant the Holy Virgin of Ludmir, Chana Rachel Werbermacher (1805-1888) since this description seems to fit her quite well. Except for his use of the word נערה, I suppose. But of course if she was actually known as a מיידעלע then this could have been his Hebrew translation, and still fitting for a 45 year old woman. Alternatively, since he was a young child he may have gotten some of the facts wrong. Since you can do this easily now, I calculated the distance between Ludmir and Rodkinson's birthplace - it is a 136 mile drive today.